Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hoppin' start to the Year of the Rabbit

Happy Chinese New Year everyone!  

 YCIS Fashion Show

Carrying on family tradition, Jayden awoke on New Year's to a red envelope filled with green and an orange tucked near his pillow.  (Oranges represent "luck" or "good fortune".)

Another one of my family traditions that I just love - eating Hot Pot at New Years. 

A toast to the Year of the Wabbit

Jayden helped me with the plating



Traditionally, a raw egg yolk is added as a part of the dipping sauce.  I Google it, supposedly it is for counterbalancing the "heat" from hot pot (ying/yang eating philosophy).  As a little girl, this is how I enjoyed hot pot.  Now that I've learned "food safety", there is no way I can get myself to eat this.  Yes I know I've shamed my culture, true Asians laugh in the face of the Food Safety Council.  Does it count if at least one of the members of the Marriott house hold embraces the "inner-Asian"?

Again, out Asian-ed by Chris
(don't let his ultra white exterior fool you, this boy is yellow on the inside)

Later on, Uncle Clayton ended up dropping by for dinner and he too, added raw egg yolk in his sauce...and loved it.  I guess I've been doubly disgraced ; )  

It was a great night, great dinner, and spent with the people I love.  Jayden declared this, "the best dinner ever!"  Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that we are carrying on old family traditions while making some new ones. 

YCIS Celebration

On Saturday, we had Jayden's school gala celebration and fundraiser. 


 
The gala/fundraiser was a success and the parent community raised a total of $50,000!  What a generous group of parents!

Embracing the philosophy, out with the old and in with the new.  Chris has officially given his notice at work.  The 15th of February will be his last day!  Although we are so sad that he and I will no longer be co-workers, we are so proud and excited for Chris to move on to bigger and better opportunities!  Already, it has been an exciting start to the new year of the rabbit!   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment